Author(s): Geri LoBiondo-Wood; Judith Haber
Medical & Nursing
With an emphasis on how nursing research is appraised and applied, Nursing Research: Methods and Critical Appraisal for Evidence-Based Practice, 8th Edition offers a comprehensive introduction to the nursing research concepts and methods essential to today's evidence-based healthcare environment. Coverage includes clear guidelines for evaluating research and applying scientific evidence to practice, qualitative and quantitative research, appraising and critiquing research, critical thinking, and clinical decision making using research information.
The American Journal of Nursing (AJN) Book of the Year Awards recognized the 8th edition with a first-place award in the Nursing Research category.
- Balanced coverage acquaints you with the processes behind research and evidence-based practice.
- Distinct coverage of qualitative and quantitative research approaches are presented in separate parts of the book to avoid the confusion that often results when the two are interwoven.
- Complete, high-quality research examples, including three sample critiques, demonstrate how to apply the principles outlined in the text to published quantitative and qualitative research studies.
- Research Vignettes help bridge the gaps among clinical research, academia, and clinical practice.
- All-star cast of contributors represents a widely respected team of experts in nursing research and evidence-based practice.
- Each chapter contains a variety of popular learning aids, including Key Terms, Learning Outcomes, Helpful Hints, Evidence-Based Practice Tips, Appraising the Evidence, Critiquing Criteria, Critique of a Research Study, Critical Thinking Decision Paths, Critical Thinking Challenges, and Key Points.
- NEW! Streamlined steps of the research process focus on how to appraise and apply research findings for evidence-based practice.
- NEW! Theory chapter features an up-to-date exploration of the most important theories behind nursing research.
- NEW! Systematic Reviews and Clinical Practice Guidelines chapter addresses this important area of nursing research.
- NEW! Quality Improvement chapter discusses the trending topic of quality improvement as it relates to nursing research.
- NEW! Updated research articles, including a Cochrane Collection study, reflect the most current, high-quality studies, particularly those that are accessible and relevant to readers with minimal clinical experience.
- NEW! All-new Research Vignettes illustrate the dynamic nature of nursing research.